If you want to repair a washing machine this is an index page for troubleshooting many common washing machine faults. It contains links to over 50 DIY help articles by an engineer with over 40 years experience. They contain general advice, which may help fixing many basic faults (UK washing machines) that don’t require an engineer, or to give an idea of how serious a fault may actually be.
You must be competent to carry out repairs and accept responsibility for your own and other people’s safety
If in any doubt, choose a repair company from my appliance repairs page. If you use one it helps to keep this site running at no extra cost to you. DIY repairs are not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.
© Copyright Whitegoodshelp / Washerhelp: Please feel free to link to these diy help articles. But don’t copy and paste them as your own work. Not crediting the author is plagiarism.
Attempting repairs if you aren’t qualified is very dangerous. Never try to repair an appliance if you don’t know what you are doing.
You should seriously be aware of the potential dangers, and never work with electrical appliances unless you are competent to do so. (For example, some washing machine modules can now give an electric shock even after the washing machine is unplugged!)
- 8 things you should never do
- 3 pre-repair tips (If calling an engineer)
- DIY Repair Safety – Don’t miss if you are attempting a repair yourself
- What’s the best way to pull a washing machine out?
- Is it possible to introduce new faults while repairing or installing a washing machine? (5 things to watch out for)
- Where to find the proper model number and serial number on a washing machine
Is there an Error Code?
This page covers faults with specific symptoms (eg. leaking, making noise, not finishing cycle). So if your washing machine is flashing lights or displaying letters & numbers you need this section washing machine error codes. If you are looking up specific symptoms make sure you check in all the different sections.
- Won’t start – dead
- Door jammed shut and won’t open
- Door or hinge broken
- Drum paddle loose or broken
- Fusing, or tripping electrics
- Getting electric shocks from washing machine or any other appliance
- Not heating the water
- Drum not turning during wash, rinse or spin
- Washes OK but won’t do fast spin at the end
- Belt keeps coming off (plus how to fit belt)
- Jumps and bangs on spin
- Making a metallic scraping noise
- Underwire or obstruction stuck in the drum (How to remove)
Leaks, Filling, Draining Faults
- Not filling: No water coming into machine
- Constantly fills with water which runs down the drain
- Fills with water overnight or even when switched off
- Not taking in enough water?
- Won’t drain water
- Won’t empty water after connecting to new plumbing but it did before
- Pump filter: How do I remove & clean it?
- How to drain washing machine stuck full of water
More Water Related Issues
Choose from the following list of appliance repairers..
Program and wash cycle faults
- Drains water and aborts cycle just after starting, or mid-wash
- Error Code: Stops with an error code
- List of common washing machine error codes
- Hotpoint washing machine shows tESt in display
- Stops mid-cycle
- Stops with lights flashing
- Program selector knob (dial) clicks round continuously
- Not spinning at end of cycle
- Won’t spin just one item or very small loads
- Spin light flashing at end of cycle and no spin
- Time remaining display not accurate or keeps jumping
Washer Dryer Specific Faults
- Clothes Coming Out Of Washer Dryer Hot And Steamy, Still Wet
- Washer dryer not heating on dry cycle
- This section covers just the drying side of washer dryers. Other faults will be the same as for washing machines
Washing machine smells
More DIY Washing Machine Repair help
Washing Machine Forums
Washing machine forums (hosted on Washerhelp). Several are open to new members and others are archived for research. Only ask questions on the forum if the answer is not already covered in an appropriate help article above. More washing machine help on Washerhelp Forums