About this Page
If you are looking to buy a new white goods appliance you should ideally do some research first. This section is a good place to start, written by a repair engineer there are links to many help and advice articles, which can help you buy the right appliance and avoid many pitfalls.
Topics on this page include the following –
- BUILT IN OR FREESTANDING APPLIANCE?
- FRIDGE & FREEZER WARNINGS
- TIPS & ADVICE BEFORE BUYING
- APPLIANCE REVIEWS
Which? Trial Offers: Get the latest reviews
- Full Online Access, Magazine & App – Introductory offer of £5 for first month, £9.99 Monthly Price
- (Or get special £99 Annual Price)
- Digital – Website + App – £7.99 Monthly Price
- Print – Magazine Only – £7.99 Monthly Price
- Choose your Which? 1 month trial
Fridge & Freezer Vital Safety Warning
Warning: Do not buy a new fridge or freezer with a flammable plastic back. Which? have provided a list of the ones that failed their tests. Although relatively rare, fires happen more than you might think. Having a flammable plastic back can be fatal!
Read Before Buying
See 5 important and unique pieces of advice before buying a new appliance, by an engineer with 40 years in the trade. These tips are unlikely to be seen anywhere else and look at a much bigger picture – five tips for buying a new appliance
What are the Pros & Cons of Built in Appliances
Integrated (or built in) appliances are common in many UK homes. They are desirable for many people with fitted kitchens. But they have a lot of downsides compared to free standing appliances. … Pros & Cons of Built in Appliances
There's never been so many different appliances to buy. Why do we need so many brands? Most of them are nothing special and extremely similar to their competition.
In fact much of the so-called competition is often just other brands made by the same big manufacturer – all made to virtually the same standards – even sharing many parts – Who Really Makes Your Appliance?. So if you were unhappy with your last appliance make sure you don’t inadvertently buy from same manufacturer.
Repairmen know appliances best
Instinctively, we tend to trust what our repairman thinks about an appliance. Most people tend to trust their judgement over that of a salesperson in a store. After all, who knows more about them? Only the makers I would say, but they are biased.
For the very latest washing machine and appliance reviews try Which? Choose your Which? trial offer. To read some of my reviews check out the following links.
- Smeg WMFABAZ1 Washing Machine Review
- Miele washing machines
- Miele washing machine user review
- Miele direct enamel coating
- Are there any downsides to Miele washing machines?
- Washing machines to avoid
- Panasonic washing machines
- Are Samsung Ecobubble washing machines any good?
- ISE Washing Machines Overview
- Which is the best washing machine to buy?
- Indesit Moon washing machine
- Gorenje washing machines
For the very latest washing machine and appliance reviews try Which? Why subscribe to Which?. See all the Best Buy recommendations and especially the Don’t Buy! ones
BUYING WASHING MACHINE?
If you’re looking for information and advice specifically about buying a new washing machine I have a dedicated section here – buying washing machines page.
BUYING FRIDGE OR FREEZER?
Buying advice specific to refrigeration appliances can be found on this page – Buying a fridge or freezer