Getting an electric shock is the first thing most people would think of if asked about the potential dangers of fixing your own washing machine. But there are several other potential dangers too. Although this advice is focused on washing machines most of it is applicable to any appliance.
Some of these points may be common sense. Others may be something you hadn’t thought of, or at least be handy reminders of things you already knew (in the back of your mind).
10 Tips on safe DIY repair practices
- Never spin a drum pulley, motor or belt by hand whilst the washing machine is on if trying to diagnose why a motor isn’t running to see if you can give the motor a kick start. It could kick into life faster than expected and damage fingers or hand
- Never test for electricity whilst the machine is plugged in. Proper checks are done with a continuity test meter with appliance unplugged
- Don't wear a tie or loose clothing that could get snagged on moving parts
- Never leave an appliance plugged in (or running) with the back panel or lid off whilst you leave the room in case a child, pet or even adult somehow touches something live
- Bending over a washing machine wearing a cardigan or jacket with a metal zip can short out contacts if it catches anything. I know from experience
- There are many very sharp edges on modern washing machines and other appliances, which can produce nasty cuts. I know from experience and subsequent hospital visit
- Don't let the drain hose of a washing machine drop to the floor as water will flood out
- If you disconnect a drain hose from the u-bend under the sink remember that any water poured down the sink will flood into the cupboard below
- Washing machines and other appliances easily damage kitchen floors. They scratch laminated floors and rip other types of kitchen flooring. Be very careful when moving an appliance. Check out my best way to pull a washing machine out tips which can also be useful for moving other appliances
- Make sure you don't Introduce new faults after fixing a washing machine 5 things to check for after repairing or installing a washing machine
If in doubt call in a proper engineer
Don’t take chances that could end in disaster. Unless you are properly skilled and competent you should Book an appliance engineer