If you’ve just plumbed a washing machine into a u- bend under the sink, or have just moved house and connected your washing machine to the existing u-bend plumbing under the sink and your washing machine doesn’t pump out (but it did before) make sure the connector that you fit the drain hose onto doesn’t have a blanked end which needs cutting off, or a blanking piece in the connector which needs removing.
The most common suspects are –
- The plumbing at the new house drains into a connection on the u-bend under the sink, and a blanking piece has been fitted which needs removing
- Some obstruction, that was already inside the washing machine somewhere has become dislodged and gone into the pump
- A wire has come off the pump during transit or some other damage has occurred
The plumbing at the new house …
The plumbing under the sink may have been made "safe": If the house is brand new and no washing machine has been installed before then the plastic connector that you connect the drain hose to should be blanked off. Otherwise any water running into the sink will flood into the cupboard below.
If the house has been lived in before it’s possible the people moving out made the connection safe by refitting the original blanking cap. There could be a rubber or plastic blanking cap inside.
The picture above shows a typical drain hose connector on a u-bend. The drain hose pushes onto the tapered connector, which is screwed to the u-bend. Unscrew this connector and check there is no blanking piece fitted either at the end of the tapered shaft, or at the point where the connector screws to the u-bend. Also check for obstructions inside this connector or at the aperture of the u-bend where it connects.
Pump has some obstruction, that was already inside …
Something like a bra wire, coin or even a nail or screw could have been laid in the bottom of the tub, or settled somewhere in the sump hose and become dislodged in the move finding its way into the pump and jamming it. Check the pump filter, or for obstructions jamming the impeller –
Other pump related links:
- Can’t find a blockage in filter or pump and pump still runs but still won’t pump out
- 5 things to watch out for after repairing or installing a washing machine
- Washing machine constantly fills with water and goes down the drain
- Transporting a washing machine tips
- Find an engineer to repair washing machine
Buy new pump
If you need to buy a new pump try 4washerhelp spares which is run by the largest UK spares supplier in the UK – Washing machine pumps
Choose from my list of white goods appliance repairers.