This is an index page for troubleshooting washing machine faults. It contains links to all my washing machine DIY help articles on specific faults. They contain general advice, which may help fixing many basic faults (on UK washing machines) that don’t require an engineer, or to give an idea of how serious a fault may actually be.
If in any doubt, choose a repair company from my appliance repairs page. If you use one it helps to keep this site running at no extra cost to you. DIY repairs are not recommended unless you really know what you are doing.
Attempting repairs if you aren’t qualified is very dangerous. Never try to repair an appliance if you don’t know what you are doing.
Note that faults can be categorised in different categories. So make sure you look at all the articles if you can’t find your issue where you first look.
- Won’t start
- Door jammed shut and won’t open
- Door or hinge broken
- Fusing, or tripping electrics
- Getting electric shocks from washing machine or any other appliance
- Not heating the water
- Won’t drain water
- Drum not turning on wash, rinse or spin (Motor not running)
- Belt keeps coming off (plus how to fit belt)
- Jumps and bangs on spin
- Making a metalic scraping noise
- Underwire or obstruction stuck in the drum (How to remove)
Leaks, Filling, Draining Faults
- Not filling: No water coming into machine
- Constantly fills with water which runs down the drain
- Fills with water overnight or even when switched off
- Won’t drain water
- Won’t empty water after connecting to new plumbing but it did before
- Pump filter: How do I remove & clean it?
- How to drain washing machine stuck full of water
More Water Related Issues
- Low water pressure and washing machines
- Limescale in washing machines
- Washing machine is a hot and cold fill, but I only have a cold water supply
- Can I connect cold fill washing machine to both hot and cold water supply?
- Can I connect a cold fill washing machine to the hot water tap?
- What should I do with the old hot water tap when connecting a cold fill washing machine?
Fabric Softener Problems
Program and wash cycle faults
- Drains water and aborts cycle just after starting, or mid-wash
- Error Code: Stops with an error code
- List of common washing machine error codes
- Hotpoint washing machine shows tESt in display
- Stops mid-cycle
- Stops with lights flashing
- Program selector knob (dial) clicks round continuously
- Not spinning at end of cycle
- Won’t spin just one item or very small loads
- Spin light flashing at end of cycle and no spin
Problems with the laundry results
Book an engineer (article continues below..)
Washer Dryer Specific Faults
- Clothes Coming Out Of Washer Dryer Hot And Steamy, Still Wet
- Washer dryer not heating on dry cycle
- This section covers just the drying side of washer dryers. Other faults will be the same as for washing machines
Washing machine smells
More DIY Washing Machine Repair help
Washing Machine Forums
Washing machine forums (hosted on Washerhelp). Several are open to new members and others are archived for research. Only ask questions on the forum if the answer is not already covered in an appropriate help article above. More washing machine help on Washerhelp Forums