This is part 2 of a series of articles about the dangers of modern white goods appliances and how you can improve appliance safety in your home. Read part 1 first (How dangerous are our appliances?) for a full understanding of these very real dangers. This is not just a shallow list of do’s andread the full article..
Using White Goods Appliances
- Scroll down for list of all articles under the Using White Goods Appliances Category
- Or go directly to my more structured main Using White Goods Appliances index page
White goods appliances come with an inherent risk. We do not need to increase this risk. Bad design, poor quality, user misuse and complacency all increase this risk unnecessarily. If you haven’t experienced any incidents or know someone who has, it might seem unnecessary to read this article. The reality is that many of ourread the full article..
Since writing this article the highest energy ratings have moved from A+ to A++ and then A+++. But I don’t expect this to affect the principle of the points made here. In fact I would expect the difference between an A++ and A+++ to be even less than the differences described in the article forread the full article..
You need to be careful when using extension leads and cables with washing machines. This advice also goes for dishwashers and tumble dryers. The reason that it is not ideal to plug a washing machine into an extension cable is because it introduces an extra risk of electrical overheating. There is also an added dangerread the full article..
It’s rare to need to fit a plug these days, but ironically that’s why some people may not know how to. You may need to fit a new plug onto a washing machine if the pre-fitted moulded one has to be cut off. This may be necessary in order to thread the cable through aread the full article..
First let me make it clear I am talking about very mild “tingles” and not proper electric shocks. If anyone receives an electric shock, the appliance should be disconnected immediately and an appliance engineer called out. Mild electric shocks or tingles might not be taken seriously, but they can turn into lethal full mains voltageread the full article..