Here is a new appliance safety warning. Please share this warning. Some models of Bosch and Neff built-in gas hobs have been found to be vulnerable to a gas leak – and therefore a potential explosion. The manufacture says, “due to potential damage to installed gas connectors, in certain circumstances gas can escape in an uncontrolled manner and in extremely rare cases a risk of explosion can arise.”
If laundry on a drying cycle comes out of a washer dryer hot and steamy there is a problem with the condensing process. Condenser washer dryers pass the steam through a plastic chamber on the back of the outer drum. During the drying cycle a steady trickle of cold water runs into the top of this chamber. When steam hits the cold water it condenses back into water. The water runs into the bottom of the outer drum and is pumped down the drain as normal.
This is part 2 of a series of articles about the dangers of modern white goods appliances and how you can improve appliance safety in your home. Read part 1 first (How dangerous are our appliances?) for a full understanding of these very real dangers. This is not just a shallow list of do’s and don’ts. It’s an in depth look accompanied by reasons and explanations.
White goods appliances come with an inherent risk. We do not need to increase this risk. Bad design, poor quality, user misuse and complacency all increase this risk unnecessarily. If you haven’t experienced any incidents or know someone who has, it might seem unnecessary to read this article. The reality is that many of our white goods appliances are potentially very dangerous. Being proactive is the sensible thing to do.
I’ve just read a news article about another tumble dryer that has caught fire causing serious damage. The article also mentions that 3 people have died and 300 injured in recent years by tumble dryer fires. However, what’s different and more shocking about this one is that it is reported that the dryer had been unplugged at the time – Fire at Honley home after UNPLUGGED tumble dryer bursts into flames. The article doesn’t offer any explanation as to how that was possible.